They have been hijacked in separate incidents off Yemen and Somalia.

Reports of the attack have renewed a piracy threat in waters off the Horn of Africa. Six armed pirates in the Gulf of Arden, around 30 nautical miles off the coast of Yemen, hijacked the Eritrea-flagged oil products tanker M.T. Sibu 1, carrying 16 Indians among its 20 crew members.
Advertisement
According to a report prepared by the Directorate of Maritime Administration, all 20 crew members were reported to be safe. However, the latest status on the vessel and crew is still awaited.
While the nationality of one of the crew members has not been confirmed yet, the crew consisted of 16 Indian nationals, one Syrian, one Sudanese and one Iraqi national.
AdvertisementThe Recruitment and Placement Service Licence agency has been asked to submit a report on the incident and subsequent updates through the e-Navik online marine casualty reporting system.
Sumit Kant Singh of SKS Krishiv Marine Services said his company had recruited four of the crew members and provided their details to the Directorate of Maritime Administration.

In the second incident, on Monday, August 17, 2026, pirates captured the Cameroon-flagged cargo vessel M/V LUTUF off Somalia’s Puntland coast, which was carrying six Indian nationals among its 10-member crew that included one Turkish national, one Georgian and two Serbian guards. The official said that the ship was seized around 3.5 nautical miles off Marraya in Puntland’s Eyl district and was subsequently taken towards the Nugaal coast.
He further added that the vessel was owned by Polar Movement Shipping and was carrying weapons bound for a Turkish military training facility in Mogadishu, along with communications and satellite equipment.
AdvertisementThe vessel was taken towards the coast near Garmaal in Puntland’s Dangoroyo district by the eight pirates who were believed to be members of a group previously involved in the hijacking of the M/V Sward in April 2026.
The status of the LUTUF, its crew and its cargo were not immediately clear, and the Turkish authorities are yet to comment on the incident.

Ministry spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal told reporters, “Two foreign-flagged vessels were involved. One had 16 Indian nationals on board, while the other had six"
He further added, “We are in touch with authorities; all of them are reportedly safe."
According to the shipping ministry, India is one of the largest contributors of sailors to merchant shipping worldwide, with more than 320,000 active seafarers in 2025.