The statement came after South Korea refused to join the war in Iran

On Sunday, August 16, 2026, U.S. President Donald Trump said he had instructed the Department of Defence to reduce joint military exercises with South Korea due to his “very good relationship” with North Korean Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un.
Advertisement
Donald Trump said that the large military drills carried out in South Korea sent a “signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile” to North Korea, a nuclear- armed country with which the U.S. has no diplomatic ties as such, but as Trump mentioned, they have been “unthreatening and respectful” throughout his presidential tenure.
Just a few hours before the drills were about to begin, Trump announced on social media, “Based on the fact that it is too late to cancel, I have instructed Secretary of War, Pete Hegseth, to reduce the Joint Military Exercises substantially!”
AdvertisementTrump further said that South Korea refused to join the war with Iran.
Although it was not clear what a scaled-down version of the training would look like, in a statement made on Monday, August 17, 2026, the office of South Korean President Lee Jae Myung said that the U.S. and South Korea have always maintained cordial relations on joint exercises and that the training would continue as it was scheduled.
President Lee has expressed, he is open to resuming talks with North Korea, which remains technically at war with North Korea after the Korean War ended in 1953 with an armistice rather than a peace treaty.
Lee’s office has said that the government “hopes that the friendly relationship between the leaders of the United States and North Korea will lead to meaningful U.S.-North Korea dialogue, thereby opening discussions aimed at advancing peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula.” They further added, “To this end, the government will make the necessary diplomatic efforts as a ‘pace-setter,’ in close coordination with the United States.”
AdvertisementLee’s government has said that South Korea has actively participated in international talks that aimed at reaching a ceasefire in Iran and restoring freedom of navigation in the Strait of Hormuz, and that it was in close talks with the U.S. “regarding practical and military contributions.”

While North Korea has criticized the annual drills and views it as a “war rehearsal” which the U.S. and its allies has denied, and therefore threatens to retaliate, the U.S. Forces Korea has stated that the military exercises are meant to build understanding among the various agencies to ensure “their ability to fortify the combined defence posture and enhance Alliance response capabilities against a spectrum of security threats.”
Following a North Korean short- range ballistic missile launch, Pyongyang fired a ballistic missile last week from its eastern coast towards the Sea of Japan. In an email, head of the Stimson Centre think tank's 38 North program, Jenny Town, said, "This decision may be part of a larger effort to create a diplomatic opportunity with Pyongyang, as Trump has consistently wanted since coming back to office, although the haphazard nature of this move is unlikely to make much of an impression in Pyongyang."
Lawmakers such as Sen. Mark Kelly, D-Ariz., have openly criticised Trump’s decision to stop the exercises and are of the opinion that the U.S. should help South Korea defend itself against the North.
As they say in diplomacy there are no friends, no enemies but only interests. However, Trump and Kim’s relationship has been a roller coaster ride, with both of them calling each other names, the efforts for diplomatic talks between the two have been fruitless since Kim showed no interest. Ever since then, Kim has advanced his nuclear and missile programs and proceeded to join hands with Russia and supply them with troops and weapons to support them in their war against Ukraine.
Trump’s announcement has come days after North Korea launched a ballistic missile towards the sea, conducting its weapons testing possibly as a sign of protest against the upcoming U.S.- South Korea military drills.
It also comes a day after the U.S. decided to pull its last aircraft carrier in Asia, as the USS George Washington was sent to replace the USS Abraham Lincoln, which has attracted scrutiny due to its condition, in the Persian Gulf.